Wednesday 10 October 2007

Another kind of Art...


Growing up in a dance studio, never in a million years did I ever think I'd swap my tap shoes for a sword. But then life has a funny way of surprising you…

One day I showed up to a dance class and found a very tall Korean with a sword instead of my teacher in jazz shoes, I thought "why not? Let's see how far I can go…"

That was five years ago, now I have finally achieved 3rd Dan grade in Haidong Gumdo, the Korean art of the sword. I am absolutely hooked, which in Haidong Gumdo lore means I heeded the call of the sword...

Haidong Gumdo can be traced back to the Koguryo Empire (37 b.C – 668 A.D), when General Yu Yu developed a form of martial art that would enable soldiers to fight against Chinese invading armies. Known as samurang, these elite soldiers became invincible as Haidong Gumdo is designed for 1 to 100 combat.

Nowadays Haidong Gumdo is regarded as a martial art and code of honor; it challenges the mind, body and spirit. Many of the tasks in Haidong Gumdo seemed impossible to me, as I have had to learn to move and use my body in a way entirely different to how I was used to in dancing. There have been times when I felt discouraged, but in Haidong Gumdo I learned not to give in to fear.

Many are the challenges that Haidong Gumdo poses, and each one brings many precious teachings. The name itself carries many meanings, as Hai can refer to the sun as well as to the sea; Dong refers to the east, as well as the energy stemming from sunlight. Gum means sword, and Do is a term that encompasses many meanings: an approach to a body of mental and physical skills that can be referred to as art, yet it also refers to a path, therefore Gumdo refers to the path of the sword.

Training in Haidong Gumdo is multi-faceted; there are different beautiful combinations with various degrees of difficulty (for me, cartwheels!); and there is a versatile collection of tasks that include putting out candles with the sword, without touching them; cutting fruit, rice straw, and bamboo.

Haidong Gumdo is one of the most ancient forms of martial arts, yet has only recently been introduced to the world, by the "Five Swords of the Sacred Mountain." That is how the president of the World Haidong Federation introduced the five masters who were charged with the responsibility of teaching it to the world. One of them is my teacher, Master Kim Yang Tae, who founded Mexico's haidong gumdo association (
www.hdgd.com.mx). The feats of these extraordinary samurangs and their international students can be seen on www.youtube.com.

4 comments:

Quicoto said...

Nice post!

I'am a Haidong Gumdo Instructor from Spain.

Puedes visitar mi Blog, también hablo de HD en español.

saludos!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the OLED, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://oled-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

快下班囉~來問個安,跟您打聲招呼.................................................................

王辛江淑萍康 said...

大師手筆﹐果然不凡..................................................................